Let’s cut to the chase. Las Luchadoras is a wholesale rip-off of Cybernauts, from the 1961–1969 British TV series The Avengers, specifically the episode “Return of the Cybernauts” from 1967. Thanks to readers Xavier Mouton-Dubosc @dascritch and Roger Long @evil_potato for drawing my attention to the complete ripoffery.
- Bad robot is silver-faced, wears a black trench coat, does not speak, wears black sunglasses, and a black hat.
- Bad robot is given instructions via a graphically-designed card inserted into a machine slot.
- Bad robot smashes through walls to gain access to victims who stand there in horror rather than, say, running from the slow-walking golem.
- When bad robot kills, it does so with karate chops.
- Bad human captures scientists and forces them to provide engineering specs to fulfill his evil ambitions.
- Bad human forces scientists to build a wrist-wearable mind-control device, for use on Team Good. (One’s a bracelet. The other is a watch.) The main target for mind-control is a woman.
- Bad human has plans to use the mind-controlled person to fight the rest of Team Good.
- The day is saved (spoiler? I guess?) by pulling the mind-control device from the victim and putting it on the robot, which instead of granting the bad human more control of the robot, causes it to go berserk.
It’s like René Cardona saw “Return of the Cybernauts” on TV, loved it, and thought there is only one thing that could make this better: Lady. Wrestlers. So he added luchadoras and hoped BBC Four wouldn’t notice. He just wanted to make the world better, y’all.
If you think I’m exaggerating, here are a few side by side shots.Continue reading